Posts for: January, 2019
Find out how your Ridgefield, CT, podiatrist can help you with your heel pain
Dr. Allan Rosenthal, your podiatrist at Advanced Foot Care Center in Ridgefield, CT, has years of experience and knowledge of how to examine feet, prescribe the proper course of treatment, and resolve any issue and problem, including heel pain.
Causes of Heel Pain
Many people start to feel pain when the plantar fascia (a connective tissue that extends from the heel bone, across the arch, and to the toes) becomes irritated or inflamed. This occurs when the foot rolls inward excessively while walking. The incessant rolling makes the foot flatten, an occurrence that lengthens the arch and adds tension on the connective tissue, causing inflammation and producing pain.
Other heel pain causes include:
- Heel spurs, a growth on the bone that may be painless in many cases but may also result in chronic pain
- Arthritis, which is the swelling of cartilage and lining in joints
- Gout, which is the buildup of uric acid salts in the joints
There are other disorders and issues as well including, collagen disorders, nerve injuries, heel bone abnormalities, and tumors.
Caring For My Heel Pain
Here are a few noninvasive options to consider.
- Wear comfortable shoes made of soft rubber
- Wear orthotic devices
- Go to physical therapy
- Stretch out your feet daily
- Avoid rigorous sports and exercises
- Take medications according to your podiatrist's orders in addition to medicine such as ibuprofen that can help reduce inflammation
- Relax your feet and don't overexert yourself
If all else fails, there's the option of getting a surgical treatment that'll eliminate heel pain and remove connective tissue and heel spurs.
Consultation With A Podiatrist
For more information regarding your heel pain, contact Dr. Rosenthal's Ridgefield, CT, office at (203) 431-0048 to schedule an appointment.