Posts for: May, 2018
Worried about that hammertoe? Hammertoe is a deformity that causes the toe joint to bend. If you have a hammertoe, you should see a podiatrist. The sooner you seek treatment, the likelier it is that the problem won't get worse. Dr. Allan Rosenthal at Advanced Foot Care Center in Ridgefield, CT, offers treatments for hammertoes. Read on to learn about the top six treatment options for hammertoes.
1. Padding/Taping- Padding and taping is often the first step in a treatment plan for a hammertoe. Padding and taping the affected toe will keep it in a normal position. Padding and taping the hammertoe reduces pain and allows the patient to continue a normal, active life.
2. Toe Splint- A toe splint may be applied by your Ridgefield podiatrist to realign your bent toe. Wear the toe splint for as many hours as possible and gradually build up your tolerance. By the second week of treatment, you should be able to wear the toe splint for at least 12 hours a day.
3. Orthotic Device- Custom orthotics are used to treat a variety of foot problems and medical issues. An orthotic device (shoe insert) placed in your shoe may help control the muscle and tendon imbalance. An orthotic device can reposition your bent toe and relieve pressure and pain.
4. Exercises- The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society recommends doing toe exercises to strengthen toes and prevent pain. All shoe wearers will benefit from doing toe exercises. Your doctor might suggest toe exercises to strengthen and stretch your toe muscles. Toe exercises may help early on when the deformity is flexible.
5. Medication- Steroid injections are sometimes used to reduce pain and swelling caused by the deformity. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are also prescribed to reduce pain and swelling. Be safe with medicines. It's important to follow your podiatrist's directions when taking medicines.
6. Surgery- If non-surgical treatments don't help, your foot doctor might recommend surgery to straighten your toe. In some cases, usually, when the affected toe has become rigid, surgery is required to alleviate the pain caused by the hammertoe. Your podiatrist will discuss the options and select a plan tailored to your needs.
Life always offers another chance to get back on track. It's called today. Call Advanced Foot Care Center at 203-431-0048 today to schedule an appointment in Ridgefield, CT. Our hammertoe treatments will ease your pain and help you get back to a normal, happy, and healthy life.